Charly Boy plans concert for late father

Charles Oputa pupularly known as Charly Boy today, Monday said prominent musicians, Dbanj and Terry G would perform at a concert to mark the death of his father, Justice Chukwudifu Oputa.
Oputa, the former Justice of the Supreme Court, died Sunday afternoon at the National Hospital in Abuja at the age of 96 after recovering from a brief illness.

Charly Boy, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria at his residence on Monday in Abuja, said his father lived a fulfilled life "so there is a great need to celebrate him."

He urged Nigerians not to sympathise with him rather "they should join in celebrating a life well lived."

"My father was a good and great man, though we did not start off well because in the beginning he always felt I was too rascal.

"I did not obey orders and I got tired of his rules, regulations and restrictions so it was important that I go my own way.

"I thank God I did that because at long last since the past 25 years; I won the kind of respect I deserved from the man who thought that the direction I took was a wrong move.’’

"For the past 25 years, we bonded and I am proud to have had a father like him.

Charly boy said that his father brought him up on a strong ‘overdose’ of morals, values, principles and how to be contented and be at peace with oneself.

"I will continue to apply these virtues to my life."

Mr. Mike Okiro, a retired IGP, one of the sympathisers at the Oputa’s residence, described the late justice as a rare nugget.

Okiro said that his death was a big loss to the family, the judiciary and the country.

He said that late Oputa was a legend, especially in the judiciary, who was recognised internationally and would be missed greatly.

"He was a great man and he lived a very good life worthy of emulation,’’ he said.

A musician, Daniel Wilson, who also condoled with the family, described the late Oputa as a rare gem that lived a great life.

He said his memory would live on.

Comments