Realgist

Realgist
Bringing You The Latest Of The News

Sunday, 14 June 2015

SHOCKING: Inferno kills three siblings in Lagos


Residents of Fakoya Street in Egbeda, a Lagos suburb was today, Sunday thrown into mourning after an inferno consumed three siblings.

FIRE 5

This disaster is coming at a time where incessant fire outbreaks have continued to wreak havoc in lives and properties.


Sunday's fire, which occurred at 20, Fakoya Street, and roasted three children in their sleep, was said to have been caused by candlelight.

The victims identified as Ufoma, 9,  Emeka,7 and Udoma,3, ‎lived in a self-contained apartment with their parents.

It was learnt that while their father lit the candle and left the house to visit their mother who had put to birth, the misfortune struck after the candlelight fell and started burning the furniture.

Although the fire was said to have started around 10pm, neighbours did not notice anything until smoke emanated from the ceilings.

It was gathered that when the fire was discovered, residents battled to put it out without knowing the kids were trapped inside the apartment.

It was gathered that their bodies were evacuated by the police.


“The incident happened on Fakoya Street, around Vulcaniser bus stop, Egbeda. It affected a building with three rooms and parlour self contained apartments. The affected family stayed in one of the apartments.

“The fire was noticed around 10pm after their father had gone out to check on their mother who had just given birth at a nearby hospital. Before he left the house, he lit a candle and shut the door, while his children-two girls and a boy- slept off.

"The candle stick must have either burnt out or fallen, causing the fire‎. No one knew the kids were inside the apartment else they would have probably survived,' said a source.

Confirming the incident, Director Fire Service, Rasaq Fadipe said ‎they were notified of the outbreak around 10:40pm and promptly mobilised to the scene.

He said: “We got the call at 10:48pm. We quickly sent the Agege Fire Station to the place with 10,000 litres of water. The fire started from the children’s apartment and consumed the three apartments in the building. The kids were fast asleep when the fire started and they were burnt to death.”

No comments:

Post a Comment