Fani-Kayode changes name

Former Minster of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has changed his name following his discharge and acquittal of money laundering charges on Wednesday by a Federal High Court in Lagos.

Femi Fani-Kayode

Fani-Kayode, who read a prepared speech outside the courtroom shortly after Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia set him free, said his trial which began in 2008 had almost destroyed his life, his family and his reputation.


He said he would be changing his name by dropping his surname “Fani-Kayode” as a mark of honour and respect for the Lord and as a testimony of God’s love towards him.

He said, “The whole process almost destroyed my life, my family, my reputation, my health and my career. I thank God for His goodness, His mercy and for the fact that today the whole nightmare has finally come to an end.”

He added, “As a mark of honour and respect for the Lord and as an everlasting testimony of my love for and dedication to Him, I wish to make it known to the Nigerian public that as from today my name will be changed.

“It will no longer be David Olufemi Fani-Kayode but instead, it shall be David Olufemi Olukayode.”

He said he was grateful to the nation’s judiciary for dispensing justice with the fear of God and for refusing to send him to jail.

Comments