Fire outbreak on Wednesday gutted down the chambers of the Lagos Chief Judge (CJ), Justice Funmilayo Atilade at Lagos State High Court, Igbosere.
Following the fire outbreak, judicial activities were halted for over three hours as the gates of the building were locked.
Some of the furniture and bookshelves in the CJ’s chamber were partly destroyed as a result of the incident. One of the court registrars, who pleaded anonymity, said the fire which started at about 8.30 a.m. followed a spark from one of the air-conditioning units in the CJ’s chamber “and before anyone could know about it, it had gone out of control’’.
Another source said the fire started when one of the cleaners switched-on a faulty air-conditioner and left the room. The report equally said it took the fire-fighters some hours to contain the fire, preventing it from touching other court rooms in the premises.