Octogenarian Rescued From Lagos Collapsed Building Dies

The 89-year-old grandmum, Mrs Mistura Amodu, rescued few hours after the collapsed Odunfa, Lagos building on Wednesday, died at the General Hospital, Lagos at around 05:00pm on Wednesday.
collaps
According to The Nation, a family member, who was with her when she breathe her last, said Maami, as she was fondly called, was hale and hearty after she was rescued from the debris of the building.



“Despite the fact she was covered in dust, her voice was still audible. She was very fine and I never thought she was going to die. She still asked if we were able to save some things but I pleaded with her to relax instead of talking. I really can’t remember the last thing she said but it is a painful exit. Even my brother had bought the medicine for her as prescribed by the doctor but she is no more to use any of it. I will miss maami. She was strong till the end,” she said.

Her daughter, Mrs Fatimah Ishola, who walked out of the collapsed building, said she was having her bath when the incident happened.

She said:

“I live on the first floor with my family and mother. I served my mother breakfast and went to the bathroom when I heard a part of the building cracking. As I stepped out of the bathroom, the building collapsed. Sincerely, I don’t know how I came out. It was God.

“It was after I came out I realised my mother was still trapped inside. I really wished she survived. But, what can I do? I don’t have anything even the money I managed to bring from our house has been stolen from me.

The cloth on me is not mine. A friend gave me yesterday after coming out of the building almost naked. I was my mother’s first and last. While I grew up, she was my sister. I was her confidant. It is so unfortunate.

The only time she stepped out of the house was Wednesdays when she visits my father in our family house. The only reason I moved into the building five years ago was because they just renovated it,” she said.

Comments